Monday, September 10, 2012

June 10th: First Impressions


What an eventful few days it has been! Having coming this class with only a small amount of background knowledge on modern art, and being that this is my first trip across the Atlantic Ocean, I was unsure what to expect. From walking around the streets of Paris and interacting with Parisians in the best way my broken French will allow me, I feel I am getting a better sense of the culture that defines this city. 

In reflecting upon my time in Paris, I cannot help but compare my experiences with the depiction of Paris in one of my favorite movies, Paris Je T’aime. This movie is a collection of short stories by various directors giving their view of Paris, and often uncovering the rarely told stories occurring on the streets. One such short story documents a middle-aged American lady, Carol, who travels to Paris, a place she has dreamed about traveling her whole life. While sitting in a picturesque park, observing the happy couples around her, and eating a baguette, Carol describes feeling joy and sadness at the same time. A feeling she says has been missing all her life, or perhaps a feeling she has forgotten over the years. Carol summarizes this feeling as being “alive.”

I enjoyed this description, because it does not rest on cliches to describe the feeling of being in Paris. Similar to New York, Paris has can be rough around the edges and intimidating, but it is a place that ultimately endears itself to you though the exhilarating liveliness felt throughout the city.

Of course, the art I have had the pleasure to observe has been an amazing experience. The standout for me is not one piece of art, but rather the connection between art forms I have been able to make. Normally, art is taught compartmentalized by medium and these connections are lost. It is incredible to see how the works of painters, dancers, composers, writers, photographers and filmmakers can be viewed together as expressing a similar viewpoint and discontent with the traditional dialogue in art.


No comments:

Post a Comment